Tuesday, May 10, 2011

You are better with her without me.

 Its not a wound
 Its not a wound. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. Goodnight. aint this a goddam warListen. major.That will be nice. Miss Barkley prefers you to me.This is a rotten game we play. It was very edifying. No blood brother and roommate. depended to a considerable extent on myself.

 We do get along. I thought. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind.It would be fine if you would take the cars. That should handle them. thats different.Thank you for the coffee beans. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. At the first battle you all run. though.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. the major said.

 You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know.After a while we said good-night and left.No. You should go on leave.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). I watched them settle on the ceiling. They do it for nothing. The major was unhooking the forceps now. That is true.Im afraid it will make it bigger. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask.

 It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country.Ill just step out the door a minute. There is nothing as bad as war. I remembered. He had always known what I did not know and what. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. are youNo. I dont go there any more. the gas mask in an oblong tin can. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up.

 I will go now and bring her here. I did not care what I was getting into. The Britisher leaned over. dropping them in a basin.All right. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. said the captain. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. you dont.They dont give them like that. What is defeat You go home. With a girl it is painful.

 TenenteNo.I wanted to do something for him. I hope shes not ill. It has been put back again. Inside there was a light.Were not far from the top. They were top-heavy. They come and make you be a soldier again.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains.War is not won by victory. she said. I couldnt move.

 Tell me just exactly how it happened.Yes. Yes. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army.She was unclasping something from her neck. I think so. Helen Ferguson.You dont wear himNo.Sit down. Aldo.You are ignorant. The town was very nice and our house was very fine.

The forest of oak trees on the mountain beyond the town was gone.Have you ever loved any oneNo. I went back to the drivers.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt.There isnt any place. He laughed.What about eating. Manera said. Were you on permissionYes. went to call on Miss Barkley. We stopped at the side of the road.

 looking at my eyes all the time.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs.Come on. and put on a dressing. I said. They told me you were on duty.Thats nothing. a few freshly washed.So you make progress with Miss BarkleyWe are friends.I did not.

Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. All alone at the war with no new girls.Abbastanza bene.All right. His legs are very painful. One killed and the fellow that brought you. he said. The hall too. waxy looking. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered. FrancoI am all right.Lets drop the war.

Yes. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. they would. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. There was fighting for that mountain too. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off.They cant hang every one. baby. Dio te salve. With your priest and your English girl. Here they would never have arrested him.

 Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. Signor Tenente.Yes. Im not.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. said Rinaldi.The granatieri are tall. It was half of the brigata Basilicata.Another American.

 and relaxed. They were afraid. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. He looked like a king. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed. Ireland of Michigan. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele. in which you said things instead of playing cards. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. I had a drink with a captain that I knew in one of the dugouts and went back across the bridge. You are better with her without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment