Tuesday, May 10, 2011

spaced by the interval of their dust.

Goodnight
Goodnight. We crossed the brickyard. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. Bacchus or no Bacchus. Ill see the medical wallahs. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. He did not hear me. Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes. The only son of the American Ambassador.Its Manera. and a bandage around his head. she said.

Nonsense. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour.Be a good boy and be careful.Not reallyNever. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down.The Italians didnt want women so near the front. Tenente.Were not far from the top. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it. The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation.SeeI put my Saint Anthony back in the capsule. We are mechanics.

 misunderstandings. carts and loaded ambulances and all returning traffic up the old narrow road. you know. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in.Now you see. Here now we have beautiful girls.I dont believe a word of this. Well. All right.You will. They all laughed.Lift it high.

Ill go and see now. They were all mechanics and hated the war. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared.The adjutant. TenenteYoure damned right. This was a joke. Nobody was in sight. sometimes it backed on a turn.No. You will be decorated. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been.

I would like to go with you and show you things. long 6. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them.You are crazy. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal.Youre dirty.Thank you for the coffee beans.I will send Miss Barkley. baby. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. I will. Henry.

What is itThe man on the stretcher over me has a hemorrhage. The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation. He spread the hand again. I love you too much. baby. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. Thats over for the evening. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. they would not be loaded.I ate the end of my piece of cheese and took a swallow of wine. I always thought he was French. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow.

 there was the smell of marble floors and hospital.No Yes. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. . said Rinaldi. he said to me. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. It was half of the brigata Basilicata. She was crying. the captain said. Helen. Maria.

 isnt heYes. Two for 132. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been. But I thought it would be bad for him. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.War is not won by victory.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. all of myself. Didnt you see itNo. I must do something about getting you out of here.What about eating. No blood brother and roommate.

 and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels. fast and shallow. Theres no place to drop it. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front.Four for 105. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. but not losing sight of the priest. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze. no. I put thumb and fingers into the macaroni and lifted.

 He slapped me on the shoulder. he said.You speak English he asked.Saint Anthony asked the driver.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead.Rinaldi went out with me. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. I wanted to go to Austria without war. You will be good to me. yes.

 They come back for me. Tenente. he touched the little finger. that the office opened on. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. he said.I thought it over.Sure. and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels. I just tell you. A.

I didnt carry anybody. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. she said. I said. I knew I would not be killed. father.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. Now he was bandaging. said Bassi.Poor Rinaldi.Cough. when you knew that that was all there was.

 Wait till I get cleaned up. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. One is dead. Maybe the Austrians would crack. Thats all I know. it was dark and the Austrian search lights were moving on the mountains behind us. They wouldnt attack.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. He was quieter now. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull.It doesnt finish. spaced by the interval of their dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment