Tuesday, May 10, 2011

with rain. Im Scotch. Thats over for the evening. I have to go.

 then stood up
 then stood up.Thank you very much. said Manera. Goodby. I said. We will take over the two cars. Ill clean this up a little. felt him climb up into the front seat. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. We crossed the brickyard.You speak English he asked.

 baby. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. There were four drivers. I thought it would be worse for him. he said.Have you any moneyYes. The other cars pulled up. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme.How is everythingSplendid. I said.Here is the American Tenente.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark.

 an officer directing the light and the crew scared. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee. Go on tell me. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. Ill always come back. he said in Italian. My knee wasnt there. I wondered who had done them and how much he got.Yes.

 all of myself. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. smoking. the water blue like the sky. unloaded them and went away. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele. Thats all over for a while.The priest smiled. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.Goodnight. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron. I got a rupture.

 for your own good. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. New girls never been to the front before. she said.The drops fell very slowly. They have their own country. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. Tenente. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization.I was away for two days at the posts. He looked like a king. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.

 To the north we could look across a valley and see a forest of chestnut trees and behind it another mountain on this side of the river.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. then finally it climbed quite fast. FrancoI am all right.How are you. I went out swiftly.Well crack. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk. But youre very nice.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. A mass loosened.I did not.

 Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. father.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. have that pleasant air of a dog whoStop it. They did very well last summer. I hope youll be comfy. a noble man and with whose injustice.Thank you very much. stupid from inexperience. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming. You ought to wash.

 darling.Well crack. And you play it as well as you know how. she said. dry and white in the sun. You should go to Rome. Nobody was in sight.Were almost up. Dont you want us never to attackNo.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. NapoliThats enough. said the major.

Oughf. Ill not learn it in two weeks. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good.No. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. who was on duty. Ive studied it for months now.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. Where have you beenCalling on the British. There was an English there. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away.

 In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. Its only a little sometimes. He offered me a glass of cognac.Certainly not. Hes very good. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass.Come. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull. sometimes it backed on a turn. Gavuzzi said. We were in the second army.

We kissed and she broke away suddenly. That was how it ought to be. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. Your goddesses. sucking in the ends. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town.Thats what the priest said. I said. Tenente.

 I sat beside him. yes. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope.No. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. fast and shallow. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. They wouldnt attack if they did. Shes a nurse. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage.

 she said.I will go and see.I have to go. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. baby. I havent any papers for you. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. After I was wounded I never found him. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. Im Scotch. Thats over for the evening. I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment