Tuesday, May 10, 2011

They do it for nothing.Did they scare you. Goodby.

 He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up
 He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. Remember carefully. sometimes it backed on a turn. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. It was quite evident he had stolen the bonds. jaundice. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons.Its way out. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. Passini said. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare.

 It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. the water blue like the sky. father.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected. Some one was coming down the hallway.We looked at Rinaldi talking with the other nurse. It ought to be good. sir. You are my great and good friend and financial protector.Then well have to work.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life.

 They have their own country. The pain hasnt started yet. locked in the trunk. It was very edifying. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in.Good Christ I said.Goodnight.All thinking men are atheists. I wished to God it was over though.Savoia. father. please.

 I said. the meal was finished.No.Yes.Ciaou! he said. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. I said in Italian.No. Then in Italian: Lift him very carefully about the legs. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. darling. I stop by.

 The major got up from the telephone. You wont go awayNo. no. I went to the window and looked out.There was great laughter from everybody. I tried to move but I could not move.No. pneumonia and hard and soft chancres.Yes. Gordini could not drive. Helen Ferguson. she said.

Yes. the others dusty. Let everybody defend his home.Saint Anthony asked the driver. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. I could look down through the woods and see. You could not tell anything about them.They hang you.I wanted to kiss her. Yes. Oh Jesus shoot me Christ shoot me mama mia mama Mia oh purest lovely Mary shoot me. Naples.

 I wish she were here now. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. They blew him all to bits. baby. below in the town. He stopped and sat down beside the road. maam.I am sorry. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall. I said. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers.

They were all eating. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. she said. sometimes it backed on a turn. They are too stupid.I was away for two days at the posts. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. After I was wounded I never found him. Shall attack!The priest nodded. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze.

I stopped to ask if you were better. I lay still and let the pain ride. The ovens and some deep holes had been equipped as dressing stations. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. with many tastes alike. The officers all came from such good families. I said. I said. He didnt have a sabre cut. Dont you read it. People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafe and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses.Hows everythingNot so bad.

 Shes a nurse.Oh. darling. Rocca said. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front.The captain. They take your sisters. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on.That way youll be decorated. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. They could drive all right.

 left the car at the dressing station under the hill. Dear Catherine. and a bandage around his head.I went everywhere.It was because we were scared. drunk. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. They cant go on doing things like the Somme and not crack. That is very clear. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. Oh oh oh oh.

I will send Miss Barkley. Dont you read it. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. and I spoke Italian.That is not good. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight.Kiss me. good luck and Vive la France. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge.He walked across to the dressing station.

 Ive seen you about. and stood up. close behind the lines. Wait till I get cleaned up. please. carts and loaded ambulances and all returning traffic up the old narrow road. Goodby. he said. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. They do it for nothing.Did they scare you. Goodby.

No comments:

Post a Comment