Tuesday, May 10, 2011

about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.

 The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon
 The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon. it seemed. I said. You understand Priest every night five against one.Open the bottle. Or shot through the shoulder. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. I would take you and never hurt you. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. I am very moved to see you badly wounded. I did not want to go there anyway.

 I am just more affectionate. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was.He will look after you.Those that went out were not lined up when they took the tenth men. I said.Why notNo. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. Another nurse was with her. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. I went to the window and looked out. looking out of the window of the bawdy house. I wished I were in Milan with her.

 with the eyes shut. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder. I lied. go to hell. Im learning it. You wont worry now. Then he was quiet. I wanted to go to Austria without war. there were some new hospitals.Go to hell. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.

 he said. said Bassi. he said. I said. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. Goodby.There arent enough troops here for a real attack. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. You walk up and down. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris.

 Not in this ambulance business. We drank the second grappa. the line of ties and rails running along it. he said to me. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage. Wait till I get cleaned up. Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. I said.Its very odd though. Some one was coming down the hallway. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. I couldnt move.

 I said.I sat on a chair and held my cap. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. The wine was bad but not dull. Miss Barkley said. It was all right if she was. Gavuzzi said. he said.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. Its not a wound. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.

Oh. They were top-heavy.The Italians didnt want women so near the front. The major was unhooking the forceps now.Goodnight. and a bandage around his head. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down. D. Thank you very much. There was nothing to write about.Better not drink too much brandy then.Youre a good old boy.

 Messina.Goodnight. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster.No. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house. she said. Its been in there too long.The Italians didnt want women so near the front. It was a big trench mortar shell. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. Well stop by the road here.

 It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.Ill bring it to you. youre very good.Goodnight. Im not. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. however. One side must stop fighting.Of course they dont.We looked at each other in the dark. he said. What is defeat You go home.

 There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see. I liked to watch her move. I watched the snow falling. These V.Im so sorry.The day had been hot.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh.That priest. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. Ill clean this up a little. We will take over the two cars.

 The orderly brought a chair and he sat down. who was on duty.All right. Tenente Gavuzzi asked. I felt I had a certain advantage. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. The major got up from the telephone. that looked chalky white and furrowed.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. when I learned it. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again.

Oh. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor. wore his black boots.Tenente. Every one laughed.Youd better chew some coffee.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. Priest not happy. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down.We wont quarrel. Those were all the Austrians mountains and we had nothing like them.

 It was all right if she was.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. They are too stupid. The major was at the telephone sitting on a box. It might be good though. spaced by the interval of their dust. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. I looked back and saw Rinaldi standing watching me and waved to him. A trench mortar shell. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment