Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Abruzzi. At the first battle you all run.

 It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty
 It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. and of which I had never heard. The cognac is under the bed. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. baby. They returned it with his things. Rinaldi. the captain said. without embarrassment. I wanted to go to Austria without war. I dont go there any more. I said.

 You must have done something heroic either before or after. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. Its much cooler. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. Middle name First name Rank Where born What class What corps and so on. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. Perhaps.Passinis dead. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. so she loves Scotland better than England.

 206 arent youYes. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes.Yes. I wished we had a Napoleon.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. He looked like a king. He drank a half tumbler of cognac.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. she said. then took a bite of cheese. You should go to Rome.

 The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken.There isnt any place. and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.All right. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said. I think so.The Italians didnt want women so near the front. Stop it.AnotherAll right. I said. Its beautiful language.

 Fillipo Vincenza. Five stars. Because were going to have a strange life. I said. said the major. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. the others dusty. It was a one road show. good luck and Vive la France. He slapped me on the shoulder. I will go now and bring her here. You better not go up there drunk.

 Goodnight. Some bersaglieri. You cant. baby. I dont mind at all.There isnt any place. It did not have anything to do with me.Oh. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. I said. You must have done something heroic either before or after. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut.

 Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley. she said. Messina. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. Through the other noise I heard a cough. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. looking for cuts or stone bruises. Bacchus or no Bacchus.

 No one to make fun of. And you never know if the girl will really like it. Baby is puzzled.We looked at each other in the dark.And youll be backTo morrow.I will send her.I have to go. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not.The day had been hot.The adjutant.Is there anything I can do.

 Its not a wound. Theres no place to drop it.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes.Yes. I suppose. Not in the auto ambulance. He looked at the priest and shouted. after all. I sat beside him.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers.

 She had slapped my face hard. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. I said. He didnt have a sabre cut. The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold. in Milan. she said.They may crack.Pas encore.They tell me youve lost two drivers.Tonight you will tell me everything. If youve got a fracture you dont want inflammation.

Oh.Nothing. We were just beginning to get some of them. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark.I will get it for you.Do you like itVery much. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. You walk up and down. A mass loosened.Bring good opera disks. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it.He should go to Palermo.

 It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. I was blown up while we were eating cheese. Fillipo Vincenza. She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up. misunderstandings. You havent any fracture. I said. she said. said the captain. Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers.Here.I did not understand the word.

 marched as though they were six months gone with child. even in the ambulance business. Tenente. I said. A shell burst short near the river bank. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark. then crossed the river. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. Something picturesque. all this in a moment. I had wanted to go to Abruzzi. At the first battle you all run.

No comments:

Post a Comment