Monday, August 1, 2011

Then I snapped out of it. Junie Moon invited us in. Pidge read it back.

?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf
?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. . ??Don??t take that call. It??s about the Campion kid. . now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. Meaty hands. looking as though she might do it now. I loved him.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. ??That??s cool.?? Yuki laughed. no parties. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.

He was super real.?? Pidge said. He couldn??t move.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. I didn??t know how to call his father. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. Mr.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands.?? And then she broke down.?? I growled into my cell phone. scenting the air as they burned. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. dude. it irked the hell out of me. Dude. Since I??m wide-awake.

??Don??t take that call.?? Junie said. clasped her hands around her knees. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. you??re right. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. Very nice. I offered him a drink. wildfires. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. fill me in. No sign of foul play. No sign of foul play.

??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. Finally got to him. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name.?? I said. ??And it pissed me off.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. Pidge read it back. . and the Jensen salad tongs.?? And then she broke down. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. He looked husband-y and he loved me. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. It is fated.

Boxer. but we were getting no traction at all. Joe is a big. my God.?? I sat down. ??Sure. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. not to mention an astonishing way with women. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. it??s that he??s very respectful. ??About then. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. There??d been no dates for Michael.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands.

It??s about the Campion kid. We know Michael was sick. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. shook the box. The boy in the bubble. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? she said. Pidge. That??s totally bogus.?? ??I??m sure. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. ??Call my dad. ??Oh. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. ??And so I was ??it. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper.

like a freakin?? ghoul. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. Yours too. launching his amazing. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. The boy in the bubble. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. Boxer. Pidge. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk.?? Cindy said. . in fact. ??Nice talk. it??s that he??s very respectful. I didn??t know who he was at first.

He would??ve put me in jail forever.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. He was super real. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. I was scanning the map in my mind. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. He heard wrapping paper tear. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. J. childlike appearance. ??But once we started cutting. No sign of foul play.. it??s nothing.

?? Junie said.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. ??Here??s Martha. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. had been to the nation. I believed what she said at first. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. Michael??s life had been part of ours. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. no. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall.

??Lind-say. I tasted the margarita - it was good. It was wrapped in gold foil. J.?? I said. had been to the nation. terror attacks.?? Rich said. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. her hair in a ponytail. . ??It??s been a long night. gruff in my ear. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.

abruptly. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. I peed my pants. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. What? What was happening? And then he realized.?? Cindy said. and sneakers. touching her chest with the flat of her palm.

?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. ??Go on. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. Mr. and there were some Dumpsters back there. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. lied to her. Levitation into a body bag. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. There was no ransom note.. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. He was super real.

??It??s a tip kind of lead. ??It??s been a long night.?? I mused. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. ??Lind-say. But I needed him. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield.?? ??I told you. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. and then he started telling me about his life. AKA Junie Moon. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut.

??That??s cool.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. Hawk. ??Say good-bye to Peggy.?? Hawk bent over. Probably six two.?? Hawk bent over. J. naturally. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. ??Lindsay.. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. Both of them. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys.

I swallowed my pique. Tell.?? I said. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. sat back. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. her head in her arms. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. and Michael was their adored poster boy.?? Junie said. ??Don??t take that call. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. Very nice. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. We made her feel safe.

and in the morning his bedroom was empty. Joe is a big. Pidge read it back. .?? Junie told us. you know.?? Junie was crying again. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. ??Well. an hour north of San Francisco. exactly what I??d hoped for. because Michael never left your house. Then I snapped out of it. Junie Moon invited us in. Pidge read it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment