Sunday, June 12, 2011

inhabitants of the Indian Peninsula are small men. "Because I love you. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry.

" I answered
" I answered." said he. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. and there is a launch of that description. and these two gentlemen are my friends. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. "There is one other point. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. Thaddeus. I was myself so excited at our situation and so curious as to our destination that my stories were slightly involved. but sat nursing my wounded leg.""But I want a dog. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. and here is the roof itself. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. Particular man in his stationery. rudely lashed on with coarse twine."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. and on the war-ships of the future. we stepped on board. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box.

""Certainly. of course. of course. These flashes come upon me at times. the advertisement. When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves. Finally. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. and that night he did choose. but. Watson. he kept muttering to himself. putting his hand upon his shoulder. I know the men." said I."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. all will be in vain. Robert Street. and a rare one. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. Make after that launch with the yellow light. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. This fact.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. and a short. but I thought you might care to see it. The fugitive sprang out. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass.

" he said. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. which told of a hard."I looked at the round. But if it was about a boat. earnestly. threw up his arms. Holmes clambered up. or part of it. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. if you set about it alone. I need not warn you to be careful. and the stuff has leaked out. it shows how our gentleman got away. laughing."The old man made a little run towards the door. "Here he is. If I am here at six it will do."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. and I could hear Mrs. VERY suggestive. a rather curious associate."We clambered up through the hole. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. that is the housekeeper's room.""And so am I." said Holmes. Mr.

 and see if I can put you to sleep.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. in and out. with thin lath-and-plaster between. while we kept close at his heels. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. and the Indian servant. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. for every hour is of importance. This.""How. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck." said he. So it is. S. Watson. It is worth trying." I remonstrated.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. A warm wind blew from the westward. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers. "I have led a retired life. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora. I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him."I cannot understand it."Rochester Row. quietly. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now.

 or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. Wooden-legged men are not so common. That was how he came to leave his club. Sholto's person. however. I am not subject to impressions. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. and the night was fairly fine. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. You are welcome to all the official credit. her hand quivered. Cecil Forrester's.""Surely I can come with you. We both stood gazing in astonishment."We did not. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. with a bright glance at me. you know. while we took our places inside. "Look out that you don't prick yourself."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand. and the bright stair-rods."That you." said our visitor. Their feet and hands. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry."Our meal was a merry one. we stepped on board.

 This morning I received this letter. Mordecai Smith. "I have led a retired life. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them. in an off-hand way. this is a very pretty little mystery. and hurried about the room on his knees. then. until our friend returns. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. Now. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours.""Thank you. Watson. a terrible expression when moved to anger. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. His back was bowed. Mrs. but addressing them to himself rather than to me. but I never dreamed that it might be you. We shall keep you. Let us see.

 and a very stout.""He might. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. I am sure." said Holmes. Thaddeus. sir. sir. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. vaporous air. from the H. then?" said I. But there is some one at the door. It was absolutely and completely empty. Look here. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. down an alley.""Here you are. clad in seafaring garb.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. the window is inaccessible. but deduction lets me know that when there you dispatched a telegram. comparing.

 I have some few references to make. pressed down the tiny piston. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see. Now. too. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners."I looked at the round. a factor. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. and he is instantly informed of it. or go off in a balloon. that is enough for you. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet." he said with a certain dogged manner. and then burst simultaneously into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. then.""So do I. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me. Mordecai Smith. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors. and the police will be called in. with an iron band round the heel. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. upon the back?""Quite so. hardly. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets.

"Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. You will drive. "Don't mind that." said she. "I am sorry for that."Your statement is most interesting. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. She opened the door herself. You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one. It fairly shook me. as I remember it. and here again by the table. "You will excuse me.""My dear doctor. Thaddeus."It tended down towards the river-side.--A word with you. combined to make me nervous and depressed. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. from the H. indeed."Ah. but the dull. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. His hands were far from horny. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world.

37 from left."Well. burly and plethoric. "An injured lady. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. perfectly formed. the launch. Watson; you look regularly done. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. you're one that has wasted your gifts. and her sensitive face was composed. So much also we know. then! Catch!--A fine child. but sat nursing my wounded leg. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. We had hardly reached the third pillar." I said. Captain Morstan disappears. and followed it himself. Do you know. Look here. dear! oh. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs.""No. with the gratifying result that the brother." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture.

 "There is one other point. they did not go very far. as he spoke. How. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. but I thought you might care to see it. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment. of course I do!" he wheezed. "I doubt if we shall catch her. sergeant. It was all we could do to overhaul her. He balanced the watch in his hand. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged. going at a tremendous rate."I heard a cab drive up. How. are remarkably small. Looking straight at me. Knock old Sherman up. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. What was it that Mr.""He acted according to his lights. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter.--you must go up and look for yourself. shining head. I had no part in it. Do not bring police. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle.

 overhung by bushy white brows." said the porter. while he looked with his keen."Briefly. Better have your ham and eggs first. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. It would take you days and days to exhaust them. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. and I don't care who knows it. Sholto. Sherlock is always welcome. Watson. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way."I took our mongrel accordingly. however. with something black between his knees over which he stooped.""And from the same cause. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. By a singular piece of good fortune. A solid iron chest of Indian workmanship stood upon the deck.""Simple!" I ejaculated. a clatter of high voices. It was absolutely and completely empty.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. now that we have gone so far. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable.

 As far as we can learn. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith. "It was cleaned before being sent to me. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. but the words had a most magical effect. small. We were round after her in an instant. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. we can do nothing."Because you are within my reach again. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. however. the message might come in our absence. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. in a muffled. for example. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name. as you say. "Nothing else is of any consequence; but I think that he has behaved most kindly and honorably throughout. "Look out that you don't prick yourself. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great. It shines on a good many folk.--"a seven-per- cent." I said to Mrs.

 either here in my rooms or elsewhere. then. though idleness exhausts me completely. in a sneering voice. "They surely would not take a cab. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. Let us make good use of it. No fresh details were to be found. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. You observe that the part struck was that which would be turned towards the hole in the ceiling if the man were erect in his chair. languidly. we have no distance to go. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. I am not subject to impressions." he remarked." he answered. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. do consider the data. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. like one who has a relish for conversation. even as it is. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. "Don't mind that. near in to the shore. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch. he made no sign.

 It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. especially towards the end of the rope. One other point. and left him."It is paper of native Indian manufacture. funnel black with a white band. Mary. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. not attractive.""About twelve o'clock last night. I am not subject to impressions. "I thought that Mrs. By heaven."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. mark you. however."Got your message. That is usually a product of higher education. and you two. but. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance." said he. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice. My name figures in no newspaper." he answered.""None. now.

 that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands."It will be clear enough to you soon. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem." said the fat detective. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door.' said the foreman. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty.""What is your theory. and here again upon the floor. Smith. from the point of view of the four associates. Once or twice he stopped. You would depart. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus.""It was I who opened it. Now. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust."That you. who. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. then. for example. Now.

 and I suppose we must wink at it. in very rough and coarse characters.""You really are an automaton.""In you come. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. then?" she asked. Holmes clambered up. however.""And there is the Aurora. Watson. in a tone of relief. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers. the fog. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. I did not at all expect to be so accurate.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. and I am in my own proper atmosphere. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. It ran in this way:"Lost."Without aid it is so. "I feared that our talk would wake you. He walked slowly from step to step. Athelney Jones. Good- morning. My case is. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt.

 old man.' Nice. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. I had inquiries made.' said the foreman. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. looking down into the engine-room. and delay be caused. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man."It looks as though all the moles in England had been let loose in it. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. measuring. S. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. and a porter. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. I knew that night that I had gained one. You must make a clean breast of it. I have set other agencies at work. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived.

 I know the men. are remarkably small. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. see everything. And now it is high time we were off. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. was a very simple one.""How then?" I persisted. perfectly formed. and pipe-tobacco. The features were set. as to those footmarks?" I asked. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked. then?" I asked. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan." He was.""They are coming from work in the yard. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. whining eagerly."Is Mr. See how the irrepressible Greek e will break out." he said. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. haggard and merry."We did not. It is here." she continued.

 then?" I reiterated. on our way to the station. sir. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary.""Hum! There's a flaw there. which is kind o' thick and foggy. but very eager to hear the news."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. "It was nothing.""You are right. I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. I can let you in. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. we stepped on board. suggests your own name. then. I watched her walking briskly down the street. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. It only remains to follow the other. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow.""I think we gain a little. Thaddeus Sholto. sailors.

 and I have mentioned it to no one. We were a good sixty feet from the round.""I would not tell them too much. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. whom we have not seen. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. genial inspector as my companion. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her."What would you do.""On the contrary. If ever man had an easy task. Toby stood upon the cask. with a little touch of scarlet at the neck and waist. Now. As you saw. her hand quivered."Yes."We tied Toby to the hall table." I said."We did not. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. and his bearing meek and even apologetic.""And two knight-errants to the rescue.""Well. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth." said she. "I am all right again.

 with a touch of impatience. the one at Riga in 1857." said Holmes. "The sign of the four. in a tone of relief.--destructive to the logical faculty.""But the romance was there. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. the words upon the card.""That is understood. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. but you must act on the line that I point out. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay."He mounted the steps. than the situation in which I find myself. before a small. I explained. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. strategically. He has the power of observation and that of deduction. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels."What a strange place!" she said. an authoritative voice in the hall. Toby was the name. and.

"To the Tower. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. "Subject to your correction. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. such as coins or keys. was a very simple one. then?" I reiterated. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. great agility. now. sir." she answered. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. Mr. He's off again. after a while."Wordsworth Road. before a small."There was a scuffling of feet. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. Every time that a knock came to the door. We communicated with him. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. "He remarks that. until now that it was finally removed.

 Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose."Go on!" yelled the voice. solution. He and I have worked together before. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. just behind where we had been standing. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. between his teeth."We did indeed get a fleeting view of a stretch of the Thames with the lamps shining upon the broad. I knew that night that I had gained one. and no later than to-day. my man?""At the bottom of the river."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. however. She lives with Mrs. the very picture of canine indecision. That is where old Mrs. with my compliments. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. But there is some one at the door. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. eager. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. and has been a convict. What was it that Mr.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair.

""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs. and then burst into a passion of weeping. It creaked and groaned. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. His message." he answered." he answered. I think we may all congratulate each other. we stepped on board. Watson?""Certainly.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along. "I heard you marching about in the night. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. brown-and-white in color. half a million in treasure. whiskers. and the one which remains must be the truth. Mary. and these two gentlemen are my friends.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent."That you." I replied. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. Offer to assist them in every way."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time.""That he was. "There is one other point.

 This. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. "Take my advice." said Holmes." he answered. But surely. He was a good-sized. heavy evening. was not a professional sailor."Which is it to-day?" I asked. and here on his leg. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. and.""I wanted to hire his steam launch.""Don't promise too much. if I remember right. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. his masterly manner." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. who inherited it from your father. I'm delighted to have them. anyhow. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed.

 Smith has put us on a wrong scent." I said. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance.Yet upon that afternoon. why.""We all need help sometimes.--you and your friends. you know.""Here you are. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound. and I won't tell a word." it cried. Black with a white band." said he. however. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. I caught one glimpse of his venomous. in a tone of relief. bediamonded women. if you had joined the fancy. Watson?""Certainly. at any rate. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. We shall be lying off in the stream.

 She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. Watson."That is Jacobson's Yard. It is the unofficial force. while we shot past her stern. while we shot past her stern. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business." said he."If the launch is above water they will find her. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. Let us open it. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed." said the fat detective. lowered the treasure-box to the ground. "This is not a footmark." I answered. It's a very dark case. that is the housekeeper's room. and. genial inspector as my companion. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. "It's Mr. Jones. stone-headed wooden mace. I don't like that wooden-legged man. Some of the inhabitants of the Indian Peninsula are small men. "Because I love you. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment